By: Morin Mawhinney
With midterm exams at various stages for different people, we all turn to something that never asks questions, never marks our answers wrong and never stresses us out: comfort food. Here are a few tried and true, exam time favourites.
Denial, Denial Baked Apple Pie
Because you think itâ€™s not that bad. Because you think you have time for this.
4 apples (I used fuji apples)
2 tablespoons butter
1/6 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup flour
1/8 cup oats
1/6 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- prepare the crumble topping.Whisk together dry ingredients, then cut in butter.
- Peel and chop 2 of the apples. Add chopped apples, butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon to a medium saucepan and sautÃ© over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from heat.
- Chop the tops off of the remaining 2 apples and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh.
- Fill scooped-out apples with apple filling from the saucepan. Top with a generous amount of crumble topping.
- Place stuffed apples on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until crumble topping is crispy. Serve warm.
You have pangs in your tummy…maybe itâ€™s hunger, but itâ€™s more likely the inner feeling of dread because you should be studying right now. Like now.
Potatoes (Yukon gold taste the best)
Light sour cream
1 bouillon cube
- Since the amount of mashed potatoes depends on you, fill a pot that suits your needs about 1/2 way with water and put on high heat to boil.
- Meanwhile, heat milk in a microwaveable safe cup for about 50 seconds. Â Then place bouillon cube in milk and let it dissolve. Â You can use a fork to break up cube so it will dissolve faster.
- Cut the potatoes into small chunks will cut down on cooking time and leaving the skin on will save time later on…because you need that time.
- Once the water is boiling, boil potatoes for about 11 minutes or until they are soft. Â
- Drain the potatoes.
- Place your pot on the counter with a hot pad underneath and put butter in the bottom of the pan.
- Place drained potatoes on top of butter.
- Stir in milk & dissolved bouillon, sour cream, minced garlic, and salt.
- Blend/whip all ingredients with a mixer for about 4 minutes or until you can eat them without chewing too much. Thatâ€™ll save time.
Melt Down Mac and Cheese
So youâ€™re releasing the seriousness of the situation. Donâ€™t worry, this Mac and Cheese is ooey, gooey and mushyâ€¦ kind of like your brain right now.
1 1/2 cup Macaroni
2 tbsp Flour
1 Salt and pepper
2 tbsp Butter
1 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese
1 cup Milk
Cook macaroni in boiling water until tender.
Transfer macaroni to a colander to drain and set aside.
Melt butter in a pan and add flour.
Cook over low heat for about 2 minutes stirring constantly to make a roux.
Gradually add in a milk, whisking until smooth.
Cook for about 2 minutes, whisking constantly until you reach desired consistency.
Add in shredded cheddar cheese and stir until the melted and smooth.
Add drained macaroni to sauce and stir until coated.
Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Brave Face Brownie in a Mug
You need chocolate and you need it now because your exam is in ten minutes, you canâ€™t find the right shirt, youâ€™ve misplaced your student ID and what were the six components of what-was-that-thing again?
1 tiny pinch Cinnamon
2 tbsp Cocoa, unsweetened natural
1/4 cup Flour
1 Pinch Salt
1/4 cup Sugar
1 drops Vanilla extract
2 tbsp Canola oil or vegetable oil
1/4 cup Water
Place dry ingredients in the mug, stir until there are no clumps. Add wet ingredients and stir. Place in a microwave and cook on high for 1min and 40sec. Let it cool…I meant your nerves, but the brownie too.
Done with it Dunkaroo Dip
Itâ€™s over, itâ€™s done, now itâ€™s time for fun! You have no more brain power so dump these foods together and grab an animal cracker; go hide in a pillow fort before finals begin to start.
1 box of funfetti cake mix
Â½ container of plain yogurt
Â½ container of cool whip